So as my blog is slowly growing, and I’m pretty much establishing myself here (again, lol), I thought that I should make more of my preference lists so readers can know my tastes better (and maybe? – be able to suggest exactly the things I might love), so today I’ll list (and this list will be regularly updated) my forever favorite K-pop albums of all time.
Will highlight the songs definitely worth checking out in all listed albums.
Akdong Musician – PLAY, 2014
Ahhhh… Akdong Musician. I genuinely love their music, and their 1st debut album PLAY is in all possible meanings a masterpiece. Their significant acoustic sound and innocent vibes go throughout the whole album and leave a very deep impression inside your heart. Lee Chanhyuk is a freaking genius.
01. Give Love ❀ 02. 200% ❀ 03. 얼음들 (Melted) ❀ 04. 지하철에서 (On A Subway) ❀ 05. 가르마 (Hair Part) ❀ 06. 인공잔디 (Artificial Grass) ❀ 07. 안녕 (Hello) ❀ 08. 작은별 (Little Star) ❀ 09. 길이나 (Anyway) ❀ 10. 소재 (Idea) 11. Galaxy
IU – Modern Times, 2013
Although IU got a bunch of awards with her latest full ablum Palette, Modern Times remains my most favorite album from her. Apparently because up until this album I didn’t know that I was actually very into old-school, jazzy songs. Even if I go to her later albums, I’d find myself adding all old-school kind of songs to my playlist (the very same Palette, for instance, got me adding Jam Jam and Dlwlrma to my Apple Music collection).
01. 을의 연애 / Love of B (With 박주원) ❀ 02. 누구나 비밀은 있다 / Everyone Has Secrets (feat. Gain Of Brown Eyed Girls) ❀ 03. 입술 사이 / Between the lips (50cm) ❀ 04. 분홍신 (Red Shoes) ❀ 05. Modern Times ❀ 06. 싫은 날 / Bad Day ❀ 07. Obliviate ❀ 08. 아이야 나랑 걷자 / Walk With Me, Girl (feat. Choi Baekho) ❀ 09. Havana ❀ 10. 우울시계 / Gloomy Clock (feat. Jonghyun Of SHINee) ❀ 11. 한낮의 꿈 / Daydream (feat. Yang Hee-eun) ❀ 12. 기다려 / Wait ❀ 13. (Bonus Track) Voice Mail (Korean Ver.)
NU’EST – Canvas, 2016
This album is pure brilliant. Many people recognized how amazing this whole album is, and so far nothing can beat this as the best mini-album so far (I’m talking about NU’EST only). The fact that they poured their souls into making an album that could become their very last one before endangered disbandment speaks about the overall quality. Still up to today, Love Paint remains a song that is composed ahead of time: we’ve never heard any other tracks like it, and I personally can’t tell when in the future we can hear a similar sound.
01. Daybreak (Minhyun&JR) ❀ 02. R.L.T.L (Real Love True Love) (one morning) ❀ 03. Love Paint (every afternoon) ❀ 04. Thank You (evening by evening) ❀ 05. Look (a starlight night)
NU’EST – Re:Birth, 2014
A runner-up for NU’EST’s best albums ranking. The only full album released as of now, Re:Birth perfectly displays the grow up of the boys, hence the album title. I dare to say that this album perfectly showcases who NU’EST musically is.
01. Judgement ❀ 02. Big Deal ❀ 03. Good Bye Bye ❀ 04. 사랑 없는 사랑 / Darkness ❀ 05. Storybook ❀ 06. CLIMAX ❀ 07. 어깨빌려줘 / Lend Me Your Shoulder (Feat. BUMZU) ❀ 08. FACE ❀ 09. Action ❀ 10. 여보세요 / Hello ❀ 11. 잠꼬대 / Sleep Talking
f(x) – Pink Tape, 2013
I’ve been a big fan of f(x) for a while, and I loved all their albums ever since 2012. Pink Tape is an amazing album, the overall musical style hadn’t gone as crazy as their follow-up albums did, but it still managed to bring a huge diversity in styles. Although I have to mention that Rum Pum Pum Pum might be a commercial success, but this is the exact case where side tracks are better than title.
01. 첫 사랑니 (Rum Pum Pum Pum) ❀ 02. 미행 (그림자 Shadow) ❀ 03. Pretty Girl ❀ 04. Kick ❀ 05. 시그널 (Signal) ❀ 06. Step ❀ 07. Goodbye Summer (f(Amber+Luna+Krystal)) (Feat. D.O. of EXO-K) ❀ 08. Airplane ❀ 09. Toy ❀ 10. 여우 같은 내 친구 (No More) ❀ 11. Snapshot ❀ 12. Ending Page
f(x) – Red Light, 2014
Truly the golden era of f(x). Even if we had to face the departure of Sulli, Red Light reminded as their best era ever, and I truly agree with that. Although I really love 4 Walls, this third album just has a special place in my heart. The album in on many levels perfect.
01. Red Light ❀ 02. MILK ❀ 03. 나비 (Butterfly) ❀ 04. 무지개 (Rainbow) ❀ 05. All Night ❀ 06. 바캉스 (Vacance) ❀ 07. 뱉어내 (Spit It Out) ❀ 08. Boom Bang Boom ❀ 09. Dracula ❀ 10. Summer Lover ❀ 11. 종이 심장 (Paper Heart)
Roy Kim – The Great Dipper, 2015
I’m sad that Roy Kim is very underappreciated in South Korea and super underrated internationally. Like come on, how can you not stan an intellectual, funny, talented and dorky Georgetown university student Roy Kim? His soothing voice is exactly one of those I like to listen to when I’m heavily anxious and need to calm myself down.
01. 파도 / The Wave ❀ 02. The Great Dipper (북두칠성) ❀ 03. 바람에 날려본다 / Gone with the Wind ❀ 04. 떠나지 마라 / Stay 05. 나도 사랑하고 싶다 / I want to love you 06. Remember Me ❀ 07. 눈물 한 방울 / Tear drops ❀ 08. 남기고 떠나죠 / What’s left behind ❀ 09. The Lullaby
SEVENTEEN – Going Seventeen, 2016
With me only recently getting to know Seventeen’s music, I can already point out my so far most favorite album from them. No need to say much aside from: Pledis producers’ game is way too strong.
01. BEAUTIFUL ❀ 02. 붐붐 (BOOMBOOM) ❀ 03. HIGHLIGHT ❀ 04. 기대 / Lean On Me ❀ 05. 빠른 걸음 / Fast Pace ❀ 06. 몰래 듣지 마요 / Don’t Listen in Secret ❀ 07. 글쎄 / I Don’t Know ❀ 08. 웃음꽃 / Smile Flower
To be continued…